February 13, 2011

Three Years Ago

Three years ago today our son's life was saved.  Some may say that I am the hero in this story, but in our eyes, the true heroes are the doctors that performed this miraculous surgery.  We were only the 6th in the country and the 3rd in the Tri-State area to have this particular surgery done.  How's that for statistics?


I remember both vaguely and clearly how February 13, 2008 went.  Tim and I arrived early that Wednesday morning.  I got into my hospital gown and had my IV placed.  I sat on the bed in our room and waited.  Mine and Tim's parents arrived in the meantime and waited with us.  Before we went down to the OR waiting room the chaplain came in and said a prayer over myself and our unborn son.  We were then wheeled down to the holding area where I was prepped for surgery.  A nurse walked in and I couldn't place where I knew her from, but Tim knew right away.  Although I didn't know this particular person very well, it was comforting to know that a familiar face was going to be in the OR with me.   Anyway, they had me drink a shot of some very tart medication that helps with nausea.  Then they gave me some versed through my IV to help calm my nerves.  This medication makes you feel like you have a really, really good buzz (or at least that's what they told me since I don't drink). The rest was a blur, but I do remember getting into the OR, sitting on the table and leaning over a nurse while the anesthesiologist put in my epidural. Then I laid down and was told they were going to give me some oxygen.  Yeah, that oxygen had a little something in it because I don't remember anything else. 

I woke up in recovery and the first thing I remember was the nurses telling me how cute the baby's feet are.  I managed to tell them that it wasn't fair that they got to see him before me.  That's all I remember.

I was hooked up to several medications.  I was contracting so they had to do all that they could to keep me from going into labor so most of the medications were to stop that from happening.  They had me on Magnesium, which in my opinion, was created my the devil himself.  Some people this medication gives flu like symptoms to, but in my case it made me extremely HOT.  I wasn't allowed to have anything to drink so I had a major case of cotton mouth.  Tim had my room set to the coolest temperature the thermostat could go to and I was still burning up.  They gave Tim a bucket that he kept ice water in so that he could wrap my in cold wash clothes.  I remember sucking on the rag so that I could get the water and tiny ice cubes that were stuck to it.  Tim kept telling me that I was going to get in trouble, but I was on day 2 of not having anything to drink.  Anyone that came into the room wore twice as many clothes as they normally would because of how cold it was.  Tim would get excited when I woke him up in the middle of the night to see if he could get me some colder water for my rags.  It meant that he got to go out into the hallway where it was warm. For those wondering how long they made me suffer without anything to drink, it was on day 3 that I finally got the sprite that I was begging them for since I came out of surgery.  3 horrible days of nothing in my mouth, but I survived.

I was discharged 5 days later and spent the next 13 weeks on bedrest (7 at home and 6 in the hospital).



It was three years ago that I got the opportunity to save my son's life. I am not a hero. I am mother.

I am also...



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth!
That was great - the end of your blog had me laughing and crying at the same time! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I am one of the people Nana has told you about that "complains" about not enough blogs. I don't facebook and I check your blog two or three times a week. Your blog and Nana are my Livingston source for updates! Please keep us in the loop! We would love Max to visit Nana's work soon!
Take care and God Bless all 4 you!
Beth

wee said...

I have never commented on your blog before, I guess I am a lurker. I have followed it and cried through so much of it but tonight's tears are of joy. Congratulations!!!!

Jodi said...

Yes, you are definitely one heck of a mother.

I've read your story before, but it still makes me tear up. Such love.

And lest I forget... CONGRATS !!!

Michelle Stamper said...

Congrats to both of you! Thanks for sharing your story it is a true motivation to any mother or soon-to-be mother. You all will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers as your journey continues.

Kimberly said...

I've been following Max's story for quite a while now. You have always amazed me (I don't know where you get your strength!), and I aspire to be a fraction as good a mother to my little ones as you are to your sweet boy.

Congratulations on the new pregnancy! What an unexpected and thrilling ending to an already-inspirational post. Praying that you have an easy and healthy pregnancy. Max is going to be the cutest big brother!

Happy three year anniversary to you, your husband, and (of course) Max! And again, congratulations on your pregnancy!

www.wyattzoo.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Hi Beth...I've been following your blog for some time now and it has left me heart broken for you many, many times. I can say that I am truly so happy to see your latest update. What a wonderful blessing!! So happy for you and so glad to hear that Max is doing well!

Anne said...

So very happy for you, Beth. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!!! Congrats to all of you. Like the other reader I was in tears recalling the many challenges you all have faced. Here is wishing you an "uneventful" pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

Reading through all of the E-Mail entries the greatest things about them is that they are dataed 2008 and that period of your life is in the distant past.

I hope everythng continues to progress with Max, and Congrats on MaxII !

I too, don't stop by this blog as often as I used to, which is good news.

Continued progress and good health!

DS/BBHS

The Power Family said...

Just checking in on your blog and wanted to wish you a belated Congrats! How exciting for you and your family!

That picture of you and Max is precious!

Jesscuhh said...

That was an amazing, heart touched, eye tearing story. I'm very happy for you all. Infortunity, I am going through some same things. I have to get a shunt, will that hurt?
I'm 19 years old and I am 16 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I have to get a shunt on my baby's bladder because there is blockage. His kidneys are getting fluid around them. How bad will this surgery hurt? They also want to test his bladder and my sack fluid with a needle in the belly. Will I be put to sleep or awake the entire time? I'm worried.
Please get back at me. Thank you.
-Jessica.

Jessica McMahon said...

Hey my name is Jessica and I am going through this exact same thing right now! It would be really amazing to talk to someone who has been through it already. Please consider finding me on facebook, if you have one. I have already chosen the name for my son and I am so scared! I go to the hospital tomorrow morning, the University of Maryland hospital. Your story has given me strength, and I thank you for that.