November 25, 2008

Bad Mommy Award goes to...

...me :o( So Max and I were out Christmas shopping and getting his pictures taken. We had one last stop to make and it was to Target. I pulled into a parking space, sat my keys in my lap, threw my purse over my shoulder, popped the drunk, locked the doors and got out of the car. I then proceeded to get Max's stroller out of the trunk and closed it. I then realized that I wouldn't be able to put the items that we were buying in the stroller so I decided to put the stroller back and use the cart in the store. I went to get my keys out of my purse to open the trunk back up and low and behold they are sitting on my seat- right where I left them. Oh yes ladies and gentlemen.... I locked Max in the car!!! So as I began to panic I called Tim to see what I needed to do. I swear, I think your mind goes dumb when you are panicking like that. So Tim told me the obvious- call the non emergent Florence Police Department. I did this and I waited and froze my butt off. I am a dummy and didn't have a coat, gloves...NOTHING! BRRR! Max was so stinkin tired by this point in the day that I thought for sure that he would be screaming because the car was standing still. No... Max sat in his carseat and smiled and laughed at me as I sat on the outside shivering. It's like he knew what I had done and he was making fun of me.

The officer arrived with his metal thing and shoved in between the window and door and couldn't get it unlocked. About 5 minutes later another cruiser showed up with two more police officers. They had a different metal pole thing and were able to shove it through the side of the window. They couldn't get the door unlocked either. About 10 minutes passed and they decided to hook the keys that were in plain sight (so aggravating) and some how pulled them through the window jam. I haven't gotten to see if there was any damage since it was dark out. I got Max out of the car and we continued with our shopping trip. Tim laughs that my bad mommy moment didn't spoil my interest in going on in to Target. I was already there though :o)

Phew.... at least he wasn't screaming the whole time.

A couple of updates:

Max has his 7th surgery scheduled for Thursday, January 22. This surgery is to close his vesticostomy (the hole that he pees from).

Nephrology is in the process of get approval from insurance to start Max on a growth hormone. They are wanting to do this to help Max grow longer so that we can get a tranplant ASAP.

I sat down with the transplant nurse last week to go over what to expect in the next 6 months. They are also getting approval from insurance to start the lab work on Max. Once they get his labs they will move forward with getting mine and Tim's labs. It's a very long process and it usually takes 4-6 months from the start of testing to the transplant.

I also want to thank the many people who have volunteered to donate their blood to Max. We found out that the cost is $110 everytime that person would give blood. The nephrology fellow also found out that the blood is only good for 42 days and he feels that a lot of it would go to waste. He said that we would hold off for right now. He doesn't know how many transfusions Max will need, so he said that we will wait and see if we want to move forward with it. They have to try to get him without one for 2 weeks so that we can draw is labs for transplant testing. They can't do it with a recent transfusion, for obvious reasons.

I think that is all folks. I hope you all have a great rest of the week :o)

4 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i have had plenty of mommy moments like that, thankfully everything turned out ok! i love that you went to target anyway, i would have done the same thing :)

Becky said...

I locked my daughter (about Max's age) in the house a month or two ago, when I walked out to the mailbox while she was napping and accidentally shut the door behind me... OOPS. All's well that ends well. And now you have a good story!

Anonymous said...

The ability to laugh at yourself in these type situations is half the battle.
Max came out of the ordeal no worse for wear, and all's well that end's well.
If you are going to lock him in the car, it's best that you picked a cool/cold day, than a bright, hot sunny day, which could have caused you much more panic.
I hope that Target had the items you were looking for!
Continued success!

Dave Schabell
BBHS

Anonymous said...

Beth, did you pick up a hide-a-key when you went into Target?

T. J.