August 4, 2009

Phosphorus Plan

Everyone is ecstatic about the new findings on Max's phosphorus. The nurses are trying to figuring out what other patients could possibly be having this same exact problem. But, Dr. Ben says "let's not be throwing a party just yet." So the plan is to repeat the labs on Friday (a venous stick and a catheter sample). If the results are the same, then we know that Dr. Bissler's theory is in fact correct. If their not the same then we have absolutely no explanation of what the heck is going on with it. The dialysis PCA, Danielle, describes Max perfectly. She says that Max is a "medical mystery". That is 100% true.

Yesterday before we left the unit, we have 3 medication changes and hope that Max's phosphorus is actually LOW rather than HIGH. We also have the news that if the results of the second venous stick are good, then Max will have to have them done weekly. This is not fun, considering as soon as they put the tourniquet on his little arm he screams and holds his breath. But, we will survive just like we have survived all of the other things we have been through.

Thank you again for all of your prayers for Max. We have a new prayer request and that is yet again for Dr. Sheldon. I am devastated to have to write this, but it has been confirmed that Dr. Sheldon is in a hospital in Texas fighting for his life. Dr. Sheldon has been diagnosed with leukemia. All of his children have been tested as donors and NONE of them are a match for him. So, he has been put on the donor list. According to the little birdie who told me this information, it's not looking good. So I beg you to please pray for Dr. Sheldon. Please pray that there is an angel walking around who is willing to donate their bone marrow to save his life. He is the best urology surgeon around and here he is fighting for his life when he should be saving children's lives. As I was driving home from the hospital yesterday, I just cried. I cried and wondered, why is he NOT suppose to be Max's transplant surgeon? Why is it that a man who has saved so many children's lives suffering for his good deeds? How is it that NONE of his children were matches for him? Why is this all happening?

I know I am being very selfish, but I don't want a #2 surgeon operating on my son. I want the top. I want the #1 surgeon. I want Dr. Sheldon to be putting my kidney into my son, not any one else. Please, please, please pray that a miracle comes for Dr. Sheldon. Pray that he and his family have the strength that they need to get through this difficult time. Pray for his doctors that they have the wisdom that they need to get him through this. Please, just pray that Dr. Sheldon pulls through this.

Have a great week everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for Dr.Sheldon. I agree it just doesn't make sense but neither does Max situation.
It is just really unfair and unexplainable that a doctor who has saved so many childrens lives is now fighting for his.

jessicalflores1@aol.com said...

I will be praying for him. Do you know where in Texas? I'm in Texas. I'm assuming it's for bone marrow, right? That's a live donor transplant, correct? If so, I'd be willing to be tested.

jessicalflores1@aol.com said...

I will be praying for him. Do you know where in Texas? I'm in Texas. I'm assuming it's for bone marrow, right? That's a live donor transplant, correct? If so, I'd be willing to be tested.

jessicalflores1@aol.com said...

I will be praying for him. Do you know where in Texas? I'm in Texas. I'm assuming it's for bone marrow, right? That's a live donor transplant, correct? If so, I'd be willing to be tested.

jessicalflores1@aol.com said...

sorry, my computer froze up on me and I guess I hit enter too many times.

Beth said...

Jessica,
I am not sure where he is in Texas. From what I understand, you are correct it is for a bone marrow transplant which is a live donor transplant. I don't know too many details about it unfortunately. That is very sweet of you to offer being tested. I wish I had more info for you.