April 15, 2008

What a crazy week!!!

Hello Everyone!

Things are starting to get a little hectic here at the hospital. We had an ultrasound last Wednesday and Max is measuring at 4 pounds 1 ounce, but his fluid levels dropped from 4.4cm to 1.5cm. The decrease could be caused by a combination of 1 or 2 things: his kidneys and/or my placenta not functioning 100% because of the surgery. We also had our weekly fluid check yesterday (Monday) and his levels decreased again from 1.5cm to 1.2cm. After being told by two of my doctors that they don't think the IV is doing anything I asked if I could have it taken out. Well, I did get a break for 12 hours, but was told that they were going to restart it and add a fluid called Hetastarch. This fluid is "suppose" to increase my fluid volume which they are hoping will help him out. I think I am having another fluid check on Thursday, so we'll see if it's working.

My MRI got moved up to next Wednesday the 23rd (it was on May 6). They are going to measure his lung volume and see how big he is. From here, they will determine what the next step is. It sounds like there is a pretty good possibility that Max may be delivered via c-section either late next week or over the weekend. I will be 33 weeks next Friday.

Tim and I are hanging in there, but are very nervous for 2 reasons:

1. It is still pretty early for him to be born and we are afraid of what is going to happen once
he is here
2. It is starting to sink in that we are going to be a mommy and a daddy VERY soon
(woohoo)!!!

So, needless to say, we need you to continue praying for this little boy. Our main concern right now are his lungs and his kidneys and how much function there is. Max has surprised us with how much he has overcome in the past 11 weeks and we are keeping our faith that God will continue to stand by him and help him continue with his strength and ability to fight. I will let everyone know what the MRI shows and when he may be entering this world.

Love always,

Beth, Tim and Max

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth & Tim, it's completely normal to be nervous but don't be afraid! You are in a hospital with wonderful doctors, nurses, and one of the best NICU's in the country! Max has God on his side and tons of prayers coming your way! Keep hanging in there!
Harmony, Eric, and Logan Bass