October 9, 2008

I told you that I wouldn't post anything until he was in our living room, and well he is in our living room! Well he is actually sleeping his is very own bed right now. I got a phone call this morning saying that Thursday or Monday was going to be the big day, then I got another phone call about an hour later. Three of Max's nurses and his discharge coordinator had me on speaker phone announcing that he was actually coming home today!!! Talk about a moment of panic. My main concern, for some reason, was that I hadn't steamed cleaned our carpet yet. Oh well, we'll do that later. I ran around here like a chicken with my head cut off trying to figure out what last minutes things I needed and to make phone calls. Then I headed off for my last visit to Children's Hospital- had to make a last minute stop to Wal-Mart to pick up a timer though.

The day was totally hectic. We had the home care nurse in his room showing us how to use his feeding pump (we will be using this for feedings throughout the night so that we don't have to wake up to feed him every 3 hours.) We also had nephrology giving us last minute directions and to make sure that we were good to go plus the nutritionist on top of that. The discharge coordinator and tons of nurses were in and out all afternoon until we left as well. It was a HUGE party in B9 for a few hours! So much fun and so many memories!

149 days! That's how long Max was in the hospital. It was the most trying time of our lives, but the most exciting and memorable time as well. Max has overcome so much in his short 5 months of life- more than what most of us will ever experience in a lifetime. He is truly my hero and I look up to him for the strength that he has and for all that he has endured (with a smile on his beautiful face.)

I also have to take this time to thank EVERYONE that has helped us get through this time. We couldn't have done any of this without our family, friends and newly acquired acquaintances. The love, support and prayers that you all provided to us has gotten us to where we are today.

The most important group of people that I need to thank (and bow down to) are our doctors and nurses. Ladies, you all are our angels here on earth. You will never know how grateful Tim, Max and I are that you were brought into our lives. For 5 months you were Max's adoptive mommies and we are so thankful that you were there to care for him and to love him when we couldn't be. Max will grow up knowing who each and every one of you are and the impact that you have made on our lives. I don't know what I am going to do not being able to see you all everyday. Believe it or not this is hard on us as well. October 8, 2008 was a very bittersweet day. We got to finally bring our sweet little boy home, but we also had to say goodbye to our hospital family and friends. I did tell some of you though that this is not goodbye, it's see you later. We will most definitely be keeping in touch and we will see some of you on Friday and Monday when we're there for his follow up appointments. We love all of you ladies and please know that we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking the best care of Max and for making a huge impact on us. You all will forever hold a very special place in our hearts.

To all of our primary nurses:
Aimie H.
Tanya B.
Tonya F.
Amy S.
Lori T.
Kelli W.
Allyson V.
Liliana P.
Chenelle M.
Tina L.
Sara B.
Reanna S.

These ladies have gone out of their way to take an extra class on how to do Max's dialysis. Some of them our going even further beyond their call of duty to take on the challenging tasks of becoming Max's home care nurse on top of their jobs at the hospital. Do you all see why we love these ladies so much! Here is to the best group of primary nurses a person could ask for.

First trip to load the car!

A handful of Max's primary nurses

Max wasn't a happy camper to be strapped into his carseat

Max looked out the window the whole car ride home

Meeting his doggies for the very first time

Our precious angel is home and asleep in his very own bed

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!

We are so happy for you! Let us know if you need anything! I am sure you are busy taking care of your little man. :) We're just a phone call away.

Love,
Chris and Jessica

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am sooo happy that he is finally home! Dylan has prayed every night for Max to come home. Well last night he didn't pray for Max, so I told him he forgot and he said "No Mom, Max is all better and is out of the hos-pit-able" (love how he says it) I told him he wasn't and he still needs our prayers. He said his prayer and went to bed. How funny. It's like he knew. I can't wait to tell him Max is out! Well, I know that you don't know us personally, but we will keep praying for you. By the way, your blog made me cry like a baby and I love the pictures. I LOVE the one on this first car ride home! Enjoy him home!
Katie, Brian, Dylan and Parker Ruschman

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

congratulations! seeing max at home is the most beautiful sight and it brought tears to my eyes. i am so, so happy for you all! enjoy having that precious little guy at home!

Unknown said...

Beth and Tim,
Im so happy that he is finally home! CCHMC RCNIC wont be the same without you guys and Max though! You will all be missed! He is a special little boy! Keep in touch and we will see you guys very soon! Tell Max we all said hi and we will see him soon for some smiles!
Tanya Burkhart, RN

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finally having Max at home with you! That is such great news :-)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! I have tears in my eyes reading this. I'm thrilled to death for you guys and thanks so much for sharing the pictures of his homecoming.

It is a very bittersweet moment leaving the hospital where your child lived for so long. I went through a very strange seperation anxiety I felt like for a few months.

NICU nurses and doctors are just pure miracles taking care of miracles.

Congrats again. I'm thrilled to death for you guys! I know you guys are busy but please keep pictures and updates coming.
Denise
Matilda&Leon

Anonymous said...

Max,

How about me and you get together some time? I would love to play toys with you. But I have to be honest, I have ulterior motives.

I want to learn about how you get the courage to not shut down, to keep going in the face of impossible odds. I want to know how you overcame all that you did with "a smile on your face". I want to know how you were able to do what you did without anybody telling you how.

These are all things that everybody can do, we just sometimes don't do because we THINK we cannot or we don't think we should.

Thank you for showing us that life is worth all that it has to offer. And that the crosses that we bear in life can only make us stronger.

They say, "Actions speak louder than words". You haven't said anything yet and you have already taught me so much by your actions.

Can you show me more? I really want to learn.

Thanks,
Brett

Jen said...

It's great to see Max home!! Congratulations to all of you. :D

Catrina said...

Congrats to all of you!! I am so happy for you all! Hope your first night with him in your house is awesome!!!

cat81305

Anonymous said...

Close the book on Chapter One and open Chapter Two!

I hope that you will continue on with the blog for a little bit of "settling in" news and periodical updates.

You are an inspiration to all those of us who fret about petty things in our lives!

Congratulations!!!

Dave Schabell
BBHS

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Beth and Tim! What a blessing to your lives! Your strength is a wonderful lesson for all of us to learn. May God continue to bless your family in everying that is to come. So, are we still going to be the noisiest pew in church or do we have some competition?!!

Love you guys. T.J., Shannon, Charlie, Caroline and Simon

Anonymous said...

I AM SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! I am definitely keeping my prayers coming your way.... If you need anything.. let me know.. I am only 10 min from you.... I am so glad he is finally home... Much love!!

Alicia