February 21, 2010

Nephrology Appointment Update

Max had his monthly nephrology appointment and labs on Wednesday. They are very happy with how things are going. The best news was that Max has hit the 10th percentile for his height! This means that he has gone from not being on the charts to being in the 10th percentile in about 4 months. So YAH for that!

His labs looked good, just a few medication changes. We also did what's called a kinetics test on the fluid that comes out of Max's belly during dialysis. This test tells us if he is getting good dialysis or not. The test came back looking very good! Another YAH!

The nephrologists and urologist (and I think some of the transplant team) meet once a month to talk about their ESRD patients. They met on Friday, so Dr. Ben called to tell me what was said about Max. Dr. Alam (Urologist) is pretty confident that Dr. Sheldon will not be back by this summer, which means that he will not be able to perform the surgery. We couldn't have all YAH's right? So as disappointing as this is, Tim and I are happy with who we have chosen to be Max's surgeon. Her name is Dr. Alanso and from what I hear, she has performed miracles on some of her patients. We like people who perform miracles! There will be several surgeons in on Max's transplant so we feel that he will be in very good hands. The way this will work is that Dr. Alanso will put the kidney in and attach the vessels. Dr. Alam will then step in and connect the ureters to the bladder. So it's going to be a joint effort.

As expected, I am very nervous now that things are moving forward. I have very mixed emotions. I am devastated that Dr. Sheldon will not be there but I am thrilled to be moving forward with the original plan. I know that he will be in fantastic hands from the time he is in the OR to the time that he goes to the ICU and then to the transplant floor. I know that Dr. Ben and Dr. Brad will be keeping a very close eye on him, so I don't think anything will go unnoticed. They are prepared for all of the risks and side effects that could take place post op. So other than me trying to get mentally and physically prepared for this surgery, I think everyone is ready.

You all will be one of the first (maybe the second or third) to know the date. I am fully expecting not to have anything until the end of March, so it will be a little while.

If you could continue to keep us in your prayers as we inch closer and closer to this life changing surgery, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you and we hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a plan, and a plan directed by the surgeons and not a plan dictated by deteriorating conditions, etc..

Max has been a trooper to this point, and all of his previous surgeries to date may have been preparing him postiively for the big one coming up this spring.

It is unfortunate, but it appears that there is no other alternative to this surgery. It is now simply a matter of when, where, and whom.

Belive me, I too would be extremely apprehensive, just as every patient who undergoes any major surgery is apprehensive prior to the procedeure.

I'm sure that this is one event that you want to put positively in your past.

Stay strong!!!

DS/BBHS