September 12, 2008

Big News!!!

Max is on the cycler!!! Wednesday was the big day! They started him at a 24 hour cycle and he handled it great, but they were getting a negative output from him. No one really knows why he was putting out a lot more than they put in on the manual setup and not enough out on the machine. They say that this is a common problem with infants on the machine because it isn't made for babies. So the nurses and I have decided to invent a dialysis machine for babies :o) I just wonder why that hasn't been done yet.

So yesterday, they took him down to a 20 hour cycle and increased to a 2.5% glucose solution- this pulls more fluid off of the body. So I called this morning and he has a positive output of 40+mL. This means that they have pulled 40+mL more off of Max than what they put in him. Not that being negative is bad, but we would rather be on the positive side of the board.

The nephrology fellow does not want to rush anything because of how easily Max "springs a leak." They did a chest x-ray this morning and there is absolutely no fluid around his lungs- WOOHOO! My guess is that they will increase the amount of fluid that they put in from 120mL to 130mL today. Like I said, they are going to move slowly with all of this. Max's maximum (haha funny) volume for his weight is 200mL. We do not have to get to this before they would send him home.

Let's see... Tim and I celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary on Tuesday! We didn't do much, but I am VERY proud to say that I made, for the very first time, BBQ ribs in the pressure cooker! They were FABULOUS! I even did corn on the cob! For those that don't know me all that well- I do not cook often :o)

Anyway, have a great weekend and enjoy the much needed rain!

1 comment:

Logan said...

Yay Max! It won't be long now!