April 16, 2009

Mommy's Testing

I had my live kidney donor transplant workup this week. It has entailed me getting a chest x-ray (came back normal), EKG (came back normal), TB skin test (it gets read on Friday morning), 24 urine collection (currently in process), a physical (I checked out fine) and LOTS of blood work. I had to do a 2 hours glucose tolerance test today... 4.... count them with me...1....2....3....4.... NEEDLE STICKS! OUCH! I had to fast for 12 hours prior to the test, but by the time I was finished it was about 16 hours. I was starving and I have a needle phobia, but I didn't pass out. They should have all of my bloodwork results by early next week.

I also had to have a pysch evaluation and can you believe it she said I was good to go. I was personally very worried! (just kidding) Seriously though, she thought that I had the right mind set for the whole process. She told me what things I needed to start working on as far as getting the help that I will need after the surgery and things like that.

This week has made all of this VERY real. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared out of my mind, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean, who wouldn't do this for their child? Why would I not do this? Fear isn't going to get the best of me. I keep being told that I am putting myself through a major surgery that isn't necessary. The open fetal surgery was the same thing though. I did that surgery to save my child's life and I am doing this surgery to do the same thing. Just because he is no longer inside of me doesn't mean that it's no longer my responsibility to do everything in my power to save him. I did everything I could to bring him into this world alive and I am going to make sure he stays that way.

Okay I am finished with that part of the week :o) I have some BIG news about Max.

Are you all ready for it? Are you sure? Ah...,I think I'll wait until next week to let you all know about this very BIG news about Max.

Okay.... sheesh. I'll tell you!

MAX ROLLED FROM HIS BACK TO HIS BELLY THIS EVENING!!!!!! Of course as soon as he did it he kicked himself back over to his back and started screaming, but he did it!!! He may never do it again, but he did it! WOOO HOOO!!!!

Also....

MAX STARTED WAVING LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!! It's not on a regular basis and he really has to think about it when he does it, but it's so stinking cute!!!!

One more thing...

Max jumped right back into eating like a pro after his surgery! His speech therapist is starting to talk about transition foods from purees to more chunky/solid. YEAH FOR MAX!

Can you tell I am a proud mama?

That's it for now. Have a great weekend everyone.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

What wonderful news all around!

Congrats to Max for rolling over & for waving! Woo hoo!

And yay for mommy's tests all coming back good so far. Great news.

I just want to say what a wonderful mom you are. The sacrifices and risks you take for your son are amazing. Great job, and stay strong.

Much prayers for continued good news.

Anonymous said...

Happy that all is going well!

Really appreciate the film clips, lets those of us that don't see him on a regular basis keep up with his physical progress.

I remember being told that you have to crawl before you can walk. The rolling over, waving, progress seem to be making strides in those directions!

Continued success!

DS/BBHS

Anonymous said...

Congrats on all the wonderful news with you and Max!

I can't believe anybody would say your surgery is not necessary! Of course it is necessary for your little man.

Great work Max and keep it up.

You really are an amazing mother.

Mari said...

what wonderful news for both you and about max--rolling over and waving all in one week--he is awesome :)

i am shocked that anyone would question you and the surgery you are having to give your son your kidney. i think you are amazing and an example to rest of us. please don't let those folks and their comments to you get you down. you are max's mom and the best he could ever ask for. simply the best!

blessings.