April 24, 2009

Okay...so Max's potassium is HIGH. To the point that I am scared out of my mind to leave his side. High potassium can cause his heart to stop. The last level that we got this afternoon was VERY high, but the lab said that it was hemolized and the doctors didn't believe it. They said that if it was actually that high, that he wouldn't be kicking and playing around in the bed like he was (meaning his heart would have already stopped). Agh.... I won't even let that thought enter my head. We're not sure what's causing it to get that high, so they are starting him on a medicine that will help with it until we can figure it out. I am afraid to feed him anything by mouth with fear that I am poisoning him. I am picking the fruits and veges that are on the low potassium list, but I am afraid that maybe I am giving him too much since he is so little. I don't know, but no one else can think of what's causing it.

Max's phosphorus and calcium are both very high as well. Max has stumped the Director of Nephrology. This guy has a TON of experience and has NO idea why his levels would be this high. So, they have stopped his growth hormone to see if that could be causing it. There is also the possibility of trying to put something into his formula that may pull the potassium out. This will mean that we will have a lot more work with having to strain out what floats to the top or bottom of the milk, but we'll see.

I got all of my test results back yesterday, and I have high cholesterol. It's genetic, so it doesn't surprise me. It's not high enough for me to go on anything, I just have to watch my diet and exercise. On a more positive note, I am healthy enough to donate my kidney to Max! So that's exciting.

Max's birthday invitations have been mailed. I still can't believe that it's been a year already. CRAZY! I still have a lot to do, but I am having a good time with it :o) It should be lots of fun!

Prayer Request for the weekend:

My Uncle Bruce is still holding on, but is at St. Luke's on their Hospice floor. He has what is called lymphoblastic lymphoma. He has also developed several infections that have made him septic. The Hospice nurses are keeping him comfortable, but it may only be a few days or so before he passes. Please pray that he stays comfortable during his final days of life.

Please keep little Ms. Peyton in your prayers as she will be receiving her new kidney on Tuesday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness Beth you have so much going, please take care of yourself too!
Denise

Bridget (Ruschman) Go said...

Give Max a kiss from all of us out here praying for your family!

queenmari said...

as one who suffers rom very low potassium and calcium and have not a clue why max is showing such high numbers. you amaze me with all you have on your plate and yet you still keep it all simple and real. always doing what is best for max.

congrats on the tests coming back giving you the go ahead to donate to max. you are an amazing mommy :)