March 26, 2010

Complex Ovarian Cyst

I just got back from talking with the doctor about my ultrasound results. I have a 4.3cm by 2.2cm complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary. Dr. D told me that "9 out of 10 times these cysts are benign, but there is a chance that it could be cancer." Not the words anyone ever wants to hear. The word cancer flashed before me and I immediately thought about my family.

I know that it's such a small chance but the fact that there is a chance at all scared the shit out of me. I am so scared and I have to wait 6 more weeks before I find anything else out. Dr. D wants to do a repeat ultrasound at the end of April along with some blood work to check for markers of ovarian cancer. She wants to wait to do the bloodwork because I am not having any symptoms (irregular cycles or pain). She told me that I shouldn't worry about this and that she isn't expecting this thing to be cancerious. Dr. D also told me at my early appointment that she wasn't expecting anything to show up on my ultrasound based on the exam that she did, so I am not feeling too confident at this point.

"It's normal for a 26 year old to have a simple cyst, but not a complex cyst." Also not encouraging. I am convinced that the ultrasound room that I was in is jinxed. That is the same room that we were in when we found out about Max's condition. Same ultrasound tech and same room. If I decide to stay with this practice if we have another child, I am requesting a new tech and a new room.

There is a chance that the cyst will go away on its own or burst. I am really hoping to feel that sharp, horrible pain shoot through my left side here really soon. I will then know that this thing has burst and that it is gone.

On the postive side, Dr. D said that she called me in because she wants to keep an eye on this thing. It's not something she wants to just let go and forget about. So that was encouraging to know that at least she wants to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

The next 6 weeks are going to draining on me. Everyone is telling me not to worry, but when you hear that there is a chance that you may have cancer, it's not something you take lightly or don't worry about. I appreciate all of the kind words and prayers. Please keep them coming as I await the next ultrasound and round of bloodwork.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

{{hugs}}

Sounds strange, but here's hoping you feel that really horrible pain in your side soon!

GL!

Jen said...

I think life has given you enough lemons already. :P Thinking of you always, Beth.

Anonymous said...

I had a cyst on my overy. It burst before I knew I had it. It was VERY painful. I was at work and I fell to the floor in pain. You will know if it happends. Good Luck with everything. Let me know if you need anything.

Katie Ruschman