February 11, 2009

God is testing me

Well the dear Lord must have thought that we had our routine down and that things were getting to easy for us, because he testing my super mom strength this morning. Here's my story.

Max's feeding pump went off at 7:10 this morning, as it does every morning. I got out of bed while I was still half asleep, as I do every morning. But this morning was different. When I stepped out of bed I realized that my left foot was not working, it was asleep and it didn't want to move. I made myself put pressure on it and as I did so my ankle rolled and I heard a crack. Remember, I am still mostly asleep through all of this. I remember thinking, "wow, that didn't sound good." I continued on without any pain. I turned his pump off and then started to realize that my foot was actually kind of hurting so I went and got some ice and went back to bed. As I was laying in bed and started to wake up even more and realize that I was really in some pain. When I took my sock off and looked at my foot, there was a knot on the side of it. Of course the first thing I think of is that I broke it. I called Tim and told him, but I kept it on ice and fell back asleep. When I got up at 9:00 I couldn't put any weight on it and it was HUGE! I got up and hopped on one foot to the phone to call my mom. I think that conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hey mom, what are your plans for the day?
Mom: "Nothing, why?"
Me: "I think I broke my foot and I am going to need some help taking Max to dialysis
and then me to the ER for an xray."
Mom: "Oh Beth."

So needless to say, Tim was able to leave work to take Max to dialysis and my mom took me to St. Elizabeth for an xray. So as I hobbled around the house the more nauseous I got from the pain. We got to the hospital and got the xray. Sure enough I have a hairline fracture on the side of my foot. They have me in a partial cast and on crutches until I see the orthopedic tomorrow. He will then decide on what he wants to do with it. You got it folks. I am on crutches and have to somehow take care of my 9 month old while my husband is out trying to get everyone's power back on as we have another wind storm. FANTASTIC! Thank goodness for parents and inlaws.

My mom and I went to Children's to sit with Max so that Tim could go back to work and when we got there Tim told me that we were going back to radiology to get an xray of Max's hemo cath. It has been very temperamental and not wanting to work properly that past week. One day it works the next it totally shuts down. Well it ran perfectly for an hour today then stopped. The xray showed that the placement was fine. So, we have no idea what's causing it, but I am holding on to hope that it will last until his next surgery before we have to replace it. But, they have contacted the surgeon to see what he would like to do. There is also a cuff right under the skin on the catheter that is there to help hold it in. That cuff is now exposed. Some are thinking that it's possibly him growing but some aren't too convinced. We're not too sure yet, so we'll see.

On a positive note, the nephrologists and transplant nurse met with the urologist today and had a little pow wow about Max. The urologist told them that he wants the donor (me) to get moving on the further testing because he feels that even if he does need the bladder reconstruction that transplant can take place 3-4 months after this next surgery. So, that means that the transplant could happen as early as July or August. WOO HOO!!! So for me, the next step is the CT angiogram. The transplant nurse is going to try to get this scheduled for next Wednesday. This test will let them know whether not I have 2 kidneys and how much blood supply is going to them. This information will let them know whether I can truly give Max my kidney. There is a chance that they could find something that would enable to to do so. Say a prayer that all goes well with it and we get good results.

I think that's it. I am going to head off here and relax from the crazy day of xrays, broken bones, a cast and poor catheters. Phew, it's exhausting just thinking about it. Have a great evening everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I was actually laughing at your plight as I read through the dialogue about the broken foot.
I'm actually laughing with you, because I feel that if you can't find some humor in it, you would simply break down, pull the covers over your head and simply give up.

You are an amazing person, with all of the incredible complex things you do that you consider routine. I have trouble making my semi-annual doctor's visits on time and have to get pshyced (sp) up each time I have to go and dread every minute of it.

Continued success! Now this (the broken foot) will become routine as well.

DS/BBHS