May 20, 2009

Good Old Henry Boy

This is Henry at Max's Birthday Party on Saturday afternoon.

My mom and dad unfortunately had to put our childhood dog down on Monday morning. Henry was a 14 1/2 year old basset hound who slept 23 hours a day. He loved walks, car rides and going camping where he then enjoyed boat rides. His big floppy ears would blow in the wind as he stood at the front of the boat.

We found out Henry had a tumor in his belly, so my parents decided to make him comfortable until the time came for him to go. That was a year ago. Proof that Henry was a fighter :o) Last Friday they had to take him back to the vet because he wasn't acting right. Again, they decided to keep him comfortable with steroids. Sunday night he started vomiting, moaning and groaning, and was unable to get up. My parents decided then that it wasn't fair to him to suffer like that, so my dad took him in on Monday morning.

My dad and Henry were the best of buds. Wherever dad was, Henry was. It's funny that dad was the one who would NEVER let us have a dog as kids. Once he finally caved in, he fell in love with the spunky, floppy eared dog that everyone grew to love.

We love and miss you Henry. Rest in Peace buddy!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

My condolences.

Making the decision to put a beloved family pet down is a very difficult and heartbreaking one.

Unknown said...

My prayers are with your family. I lost my dog to cancer on Sunday morning, he was my buddy. Sometimes the best decision is the toughest one to make.

Anonymous said...

Henry will forever be etched in our memories. How could you forget a famous kneeboarding dog! Losing Henry is like losing a family member not only to you guys but the rest of the family too.

Hugs and Kisses sent your way,

Michael, Dom and family