May 1, 2009

Update on Larry

Well Larry is doing much better today. They ran a few tests yesterday and everything looked good. We are being told that it's possible that scar tissue from his previous surgery could have caused the seizure. If this is the case, we are assuming that he will have to be on his antiseizure medicine for the rest of his life. We are just lucky that he is alive, so what's an extra pill each day?

As far as the Yukon goes... it's looking like it may be a total loss. We haven't heard anything on it yet, but it looks pretty bad. There were not any other cars involved in the crash (except for someone who was rear-ended for looking at the crash). He was on the AA and went off the side of the road and ran into a concrete wall. When the good samaritan that stopped after the crash got to him, he was still seizing. He then blacked out. He woke up enough to tell the EMT that he had had a brain tumor and he then seized again and blacked out.

We are hoping that he will be discharged from the hospital tomorrow and they will then run more tests on him as an outpatient. Please continue to keep him in your prayers as he goes through all of this again.

On a side note:

I had my second TB test on Wednesday and I had another positive reaction to it. So, they will be putting him on a medication to prevent me from getting it when I am old and gray. There was questioning of whether or not I would still be able to donate my kidney to Max and after a call to one of the nephrologist he said that "in the official transplant guide" I will still be able to donate. What they will do is treat him with the same medication that they will be treating me with after the transplant. PHEW... I was on the brinks of tears during the time when I didn't have an answer, but I am much better now :o)

As far as Max goes, he is doing very well. We have nothing but good things to report. First of all I am VERY happy to say that he said "mama" for the first time yesterday. Even more importantly though Max took a bottle for the first time on Wednesday morning! He continued to take it throughout the day. He has only taken water from it so far, but we are working on getting him to take his formula from it. I personally wouldn't drink this stuff either, so I am happy enough with juice and water. WOO HOO!

Max has also been fighting an ear infection and fevers since last Sunday. He is finally fever free and doing much better. I never thought a baby could be SO fussy :o( He is getting back to his normal happy self though.

He had his follow up urology appointment and Dr. Sheldon doesn't need to see us again for 3 months!!!!! This was a HUGE shock to me, but I am thrilled. Unless something comes up, we don't need to be seen but every 3 months until it's time to do the transplant. HOLY COW... the next step (from a urology standpoint) is transplant. Granted, we are still waiting for him to grow, grow, grow. So as long as his dialysis continues to be adequate, he continues to grow and develop we are hoping to wait as long as we can. They will be doing a nuclear medicine dye study next week to check and see if everything from his surgery is healed. If all looks good they will admit him back into the hospital (after his birthday, of course) to retry the peritoneal dialysis to try and stretch his peritoneal cavity. We are finally on the road to good things. Pray that we stay on this road and that everything continues to go well for him. He deserves this. He deserves a break.

Okay, I think that's it. Everyone enjoy your weekend! We'll talk to you soon :o)

2 comments:

Logan said...

Wow, what a rough week for you guys! Prayers are continuously coming. I'm glad Larry is OK. It seems just like yesterday Judy was telling me about the first episode (before he had his surgery) and you and Max having your surgery. It's good to know everything has turned out OK with everyone.

Yay Max for taking his bottle!

Harmony, Eric, Logan, and Elizabeth

Jodi said...

What an eventful week you've had, good and bad.

Tons of Yays for Max!

Continued prayers for your family.