March 9, 2009

Things are going much better today

I may regret saying that considering we haven't received the discharge papers yet. Anyway, last night went just how I predicted it to go. Max kept desatting and slept with an oxygen mask in front of his face all night. So this morning we knew we weren't going home today. His SP tube also came unstitched last night so that had to get stitched back in... he was not too happy about the burning numbing medicine they injected him with, but he did fantastic otherwise.

They took us to dialysis early and we met up with the doctors there. They told us that they felt the added pressure in his belly pushed on his diaphragm and enabled his lungs to expand to their full capacity, so that had a lot to do with the drops in his sats. The hernia is also a probable cause of it. There is a call into the surgeons to see what they think and if they feel it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. They wanted to see if getting the extra fluid off through his hemo dialysis would help with his sats when he is sleeping. So the entire time he was hooked up he was at 98-99% (which he still is at this very moment). When we got back to his room he fell asleep and I sat next to him with my eyes fixated on the monitor the entire hour. He never dropped below 95% but averaged at 96-97%. WOO HOO!!!

We were told if he behaves and doesn't go below 92% that they would feel comfortable sending us home this evening. So we're hoping and waiting patiently for the word and those lovely papers telling us we're FREE!!!

We also had a very uplifting conversation with Max's primary nephrologist, Dr. Dixon this afternoon. I'll skip through the medical portion of the conversation and get to the uplifting part. He told us that he is going to fight until the end and that he has faith that we're going to get Max through this. He also said that when he receives Max's high school graduation announcement, he is going to look back on this and remember how much of a pain it was and that it turned what hair he has left gray, but look at where he (and Dr. Ben) got him. One of my fears is that the doctors are wondering how much more we will put him through, but Dr. Dixon said that he is on the same path we are on and that we are a long shot from the end of the road. This isn't over yet. Of course, as soon as he left, I teared up and realized right then and there that we picked the absolute best doctor for our family, not that I ever doubted it, but he has the exact attitude and passion that we need to get ourselves and our son through this with the best possible outcome.

2 comments:

Harvest Moon Farm said...

Dear Max's parents,

You don't know me, but I've been reading Max's saga since you started blogging (I can't even remember how I stumbled across it in the first place, but I've been hooked since the start!). I just wanted you guys to know that I'm out here pulling for Max and for you, and that I just know you guys are going to pull him through anything he has to be pulled through. You are such incredible parents and the love you have for your son jumps off the screen in every single post you make. I check in every day for good news so that I can cheer, and bite my nails through the not-so-good news. Yet even on the less good days, I just know that the next time I read, it'll be another victory over adversity!

Many blessings upon your entire family and the friends and medical staff that supports you!

With love from a long-distance admirer of Max's strong will and determination!

Jodi said...

Yay for good news! Prayers for more good news!

And how awesome to know that you & his doc are on the same page. What a comfort that must be!